|Latest Wine Version Tested:||7.3|
Maintainers: About Maintainership
No maintainers. Volunteer today!
The install, patching, and game appears to run flawlessly. Some minor non-linux related fixes are required to solve some physics issues and music looping (see workarounds for full install procedure).
What does not
Rare menu crashes (i.e., when pressing exit menu in certain missions)
1) Update to latest MESA drivers.
2) Create a 32-bit wine prefix.
3) Run winecfg, and set windows version to either Windows 95 or Windows 98.
4) Use winetricks to install the following components: avifil32 (for movies to play), directplay (for possible multiplayer functionality), l3codecx (optional, but allows your prefix to play .mp3 files used for music looping issues).
5) Install the game via the installer.
6) Patch to latest version (optional)
7) Install a no-cd patch (optional, but good QOL item)
8) Download and run the "zipper fix" https://github.com/TerranMechw... . This helps solve any stability / physics problems associated with having too high a framerate on modern machines.
9) Grab the _inmm fix and use it to patch the fixed mech3 executable (optional, but fixes the issue where music does not loop). https://www.play-old-pc-games....
What was not tested
Multiplayer. It "should" work with directplay install, but this component has not been tested yet.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Manjaro Linux 21.2||Mar 13 2022||7.3||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Mulletman|
|Current||Ubuntu 22.04 "Jammy" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 22 2022||7.0||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Andy Yiu|
|Show||Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" x86_64||Apr 07 2018||3.5||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||Eric Whitaker|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks"||Nov 12 2014||1.7.29||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Steven Vachon|
|Show||Linux Mint 13 "Maya"||Sep 28 2013||1.6||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|