The original Re-Volt v1.00 found on the retail CD-ROM.
Please define the file size and/or precise version if you know it when submitting a review.This will help us sort out the issues for each version.
Known 1.00 versions include:
Tested two versions both have same issues. The game is not fully workable in this release of wine. Here's what I've found works...
What does not
What was not tested
v1.0 USA unpatched.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||May 26 2012||1.5.5||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Jackie Ben|
|Show||Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 04 2010||1.2-rc2||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Luke|
|Current||Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 30 2009||1.1.35||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Luke|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 05 2008||0.9.54.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||openSUSE 10.3 x86_64||Nov 17 2007||0.9.49.||Yes||Yes||Gold||yossarianuk|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|1631||Sound underruns occur in directsound||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|3615||wined3d doesn't work with multithreading d3d||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|4913||Revolt doesn't start but processor usage stays at 100%||CLOSED||INVALID||View|
|4953||Revolt locks up shortly after starting with "setup_exception nested exception" error||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|5515||DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer||CLOSED||DUPLICATE||View|
|5524||Re-Volt nothing appears||CLOSED||DUPLICATE||View|
|6847||DirectPlay metabug. Implement dplay tcp/ip provider.||NEW||View|
|8495||missing graphic objects in Re-volt||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|15043||Acclaim Re-Volt: Crash at the start.||CLOSED||ABANDONED||View|
|16559||PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|21179||Acclaim Re-Volt: Unhandled page fault on read access during Battle Tags and Nhood1||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|29869||Re-Volt is missing an HUD element||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
Playing Re-Volt in Multi-player online and/or over LAN with Wine only requires native Directplay libraries from Winetricks. This guide will cover enabling these libraries. For further information on installing Winetricks, see:
This guide also covers installing RV House, the most popular meeting spot/lobby for Re-Volt online players. Users interested in LAN multi-player only may as well skip the "Installing RV House" section.
*** Enabling the Directplay Libraries in Winetricks ***
- Assuming that you already have winetricks installed, open the terminal.
- type 'winetricks directplay'.
- Winetricks should be downloading and installing the required directplay libaries now.
- When finished, type 'winecfg'. This will open the Wine configuration dialog.
- Go to the Libraries tab. The following overrides should now exist:
If installation was successful you should be able to start Re-Volt -> go to Start Race -> Multi-player -> Start Game and get to the next menu without any error. If you do, make sure that the Network settings are correctly to TCP/IP.
*** Installing RV House ***
RV House is a meeting spot where all Re-Volt online games are held. It works in a similar fashion to MSN Zone and Gamespy Arcade but is created for Re-Volt only. I highly encourage any Re-Volt fan to install this application if he/she wish to meet the online community.
- Download the latest version of RV House FOR WINDOWS (The Linux release is outdated and incompatible with Re-Volt over Wine).
- Run the installer (rv_house_setup.exe) and go through the wizard.
- With default settings RV House should now be installed in .wine\drive_c\Program Files\RV House\ under the name rv_house.exe.
- You need to register an account at Re-Volt Zone in order to use RV House. It is possible to register straight from RV House and the registration will only require an e-mail adress.
Once you have logged in you are ready to chat and play.
NOTE: Re-Volt requires the ports 47624 (TCP) and 2300-2400 (TCP & UDP) to be open in order to play over the internet. Make sure that your router and firewall are configured properly!
NOTE: Other players likely use the latest version of Re-Volt 1.2 as it fixes a lot of issues in Multi-player games. Some rooms will not be compatible with older versions of Re-Volt.
Tested with Wine 1.3.36 - 1.5.28 (only TCP/IP Multi-player & Multi-player through RV House 0.93.4).
This HOWTO will explain how to install Re-Volt from the Retail CD.
- Insert the Re-Volt CD into your CD-ROM drive.
- Browse to the CD and start SETUP.EXE. Re-Volt Setup should run with no issues (tested with Windows XP and Windows 7 Compatibility).
- After SETUP.EXE has loaded Re-Volt Setup you are presented by a dialog. Click Next, Yes, Next, Next, Next, Next and the installation should begin.
- After Re-Volt Setup has finished copying files it will ask if you want to install DirectX 6.1. This should not be necessary but does not harm either - press no.
- Re-Volt Setup informs you that Setup is complete. Uncheck all checkboxes in the last dialog and press Finish.
- This step is technically only necessary if you plan to patch Re-Volt to a newer version (which is highly recommended): Go to .wine\drive_c\Program Files\Acclaim Entertainment\Re-Volt\strings and set permissions for the owner to read & write.
Re-Volt is now installed in version 1.00.If you are a Gnome user you can press Super and search for "Re-Volt" to find the application and its associated uninstaller.
NOTE: After installation it is recommended to patch Re-Volt to the latest version of Re-Volt 1.2. See: Installing the Re-Volt 1.2 patch
NOTE: Multi-player will not work without native Directplay libraries from Winetricks (that is the case for TCP/IP at least). See: Re-Volt Multi-player with Wine