Patched version of Gothic II without Addon.
1) Installation 2) Game 3) Loading and saving a game 4) Performance is good
What does not
1) Game freezes after 10-15 mins of play(music disabled) 2) Game is very unstable, when music is enabled (When using dll overrides) 3) Intro video is too small and has some artifacts
What was not tested
Long play =(
wine output: http://phpfi.com/208635
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 23 2011||1.3.11||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 27 2010||1.2-rc1||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 04 2009||1.1.18||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 01 2009||1.1.16||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Gentoo Linux||Jan 29 2009||1.1.13||Yes||Yes||Gold||KA|
The easiest way is to use winetricks:
$ sh winetricks directmusic
WARNING: winetricks sets more DLL overrides than necessary. In my case I had to remove the override for 'dsound' (winecfg -> Libraries) or the game would crash at the main menu: "C: failed to initialize sound, MSS reported: Broken waveOut driver – ’buffer done’ flag never set".
Otherwise if you don't want to use native dlls, you have to disable music by setting 'musicEnabled=0' in [Gothic_2_Path]/system/gothic.ini .
It is possible to run Gothic II using the open source graphics stack, at least with Intel and Radeon cards. The "i965" (Intel GMA X3100) and "r300" (ATi Radeon 9500 - X1950) drivers are reported to work, others will probably work as well, so please test it and leave a comment below.
What you need is S3 Texture Compression (S3TC), a technology covered by a patent which makes things complicated.
What you have to do:
- Get the GUI tool 'driconf'. For examle: 'sudo apt-get install driconf'
- Start 'driconf', either from the console or from an entry in your application menu.
- Find the entry "Enable S3TC texture compression even if software support is not available" and set it to "yes"
- Start Gothic normally and hope that it works flawlessly.
Since mesa-7.11 this should also work with gallium drivers without having a libtxc_dxtn.so.
There are issues, for example, the floor might be invisible. Leave a comment :)
Azerty layout has numbers accessible with the shift key so switching weapons was broken and there is nothing in the settings to change that. The workaround was to switch to another layout using : setxkbmap us Changing it in the Gnome 3.22 menu didn't work.