After updating my wine installation to 0.9.20 most features that I use worked. This test is "out of the box". I attemped to add some DLL overrides with no real change in fuctionallity. (I used an older version[0.9.14 I think] at first from the Ubuntu repositories that barely worked because NJStar couldn't open a new document)
Here's a list:
- Inputing of chinese using NJStar's internal input editor.
- mouse over definitions.
- inserting of definitions into document.
- Hanzi Information (information on a selected single charactor)
- Converting of Chinese Charactors to Pinyin (this has some problems at times when there are multiple pronunciations for a particular charactor - understandable and obviously not a problem with wine)
- looking up charactors by radicals (this is the only function that was usable in the older version)
- General charactor formating (underline, double underline, color for all Charactors and Bold and italic of western charactors.)
- General paragraph formating (Alignment, indention, boarders) (NJStar's general formating is very basic)
- spell check
- Document recovory after a crash.
- saving of files (I have had a save crash NJStar once recovory worked nicly)
- enforcing of teaching rules (basicly it just disables learning helps that you set up in 'options')
What does not
- Glinputing chinese using SCIM (produces '?' I believe this is because NJStar does not have a UTF8 setting, options are Standard Eglish or western System, Chinese Big5 System or Chinese GBK system)
- Hanzi of the day (crashes NJStar)
- Browsable dictionary (crashes NJStar - This is the only feature that I really wish would work.)
- Bold and italic of Chinese charactors (may be a limitation of NJStar Basic).
- Tools->options input method tab (crashes NJStar there are other ways to change some of the settings)
What was not tested
- printing (no printer available)
- Glossary (not sure what it's suposed to do)
- Study list (not sure how to use it)
- other input methods besides pinyin (there are dozens including Japanese and Cantonese that I see in the list)
- a fair number of other features that I haven't had time to learn.