A few extra features such as forms insertion, file uploads insertion... however it has an msi installer which fails if you use a .wine folder that was created with an earlier version of wine. See bug 6419 for further information.
WebEngine V2.00k will install correctly, however you may need to delete your .wine folder and run winecfg to re-create it if the .wine folder dates from earlier releases of wine.
Everything appears to work ok so far.
What does not
The text edit box does not allow you to use the vertical scroll or down arrow key so you can't edit text beyond the bottom of the box.
What was not tested
I did not test the installation. I previously used an application that converted the .msi file that you download from Virtual Mechanics to an exe file that you can install with wine.
As soon as the installation is fixed this will be a platinum rating.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||SuSE 9.3||May 12 2008||1.0-rc1||N/A||Yes||Gold||Nick Law|
|Show||SuSE 9.3||Oct 10 2006||0.9.22.||Yes||Yes||Gold||Nick Law|
|Show||SuSE 9.3||Oct 10 2006||0.9.22.||No||Yes||Garbage||Nick Law|
How To Install the windows version of IMS WebEngine with wine on linux
Written by Nick Law - 11/Oct/06
Last Updated - 11/Oct/06
1. Delete & Recreate an old .wine folder...
If you have been running wine for some time and the .wine folder ( /home/yourlogin/.wine ) was created by an earlier version of wine... i.e. not 0.9.22 you will need to delete /home/yourlogin/.wine and type winecfg in a console window which will recreate the .wine folder. Ignore the error that comes up when you run winecfg, as long as it says creating /home/yourlogin/.wine. If you have just installed wine 0.9.22 for the first time, then the installation should go ok.
2. Download MFC42.DLL and MSVCIRT.DLL from here
You will need to copy these dll files into /home/yourlogin/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
And Finally makesure you install WebEngine as a user not root !, same goes for winecfg, user not root !
1. Install wine 0.9.22 if you haven't already done so. My personal preference is to download the wine source code official releases which appear every 2 to 4 weeks. You then run "./configure", "make depend", "make" and finally "make install". If you have never done this before take a look at the Wow Appdb page which can be found here http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5606 This should give you some pointers, ignore the stuff about patches, they are not needed to run WebEngine. Check out the wine wiki and if it still makes no sense post a message here and I'll see if I can help.
2. Open a console window and type winecfg. This will create the .wine directory in your home directory. Makesure you are not root when you do this !! else the .wine directory will be created in the wrong place.
3. Copy the two dll files, MFC42.DLL and MSVCIRT.DLL that you downloaded earlier into /home/yourlogin/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 ( replacing 'yourlogin' with whatever your login name happens to be. ( type "who am i" in a console window, the first word on the line is your login name ).
4. Download the IMS WebEngine Installation wrapper executable file from http://www.virtualmechanics.com/downloads/index.html and save it somewhere like /home/yourlogin/downloads/IMS/
5. Open a console window as user (not root)
6. Type "cd /home/yourlogin/downloads/IMS"
7. In the console window type "wine SetupWebEngineV200k.Exe" and follow the instructions.
8. The program will install and create an icon on the desktop. This icon doesn't work in wine 0.9.22 so delete it.
9. Create a new icon that points to "/home/guest/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Virtual Mechanics/Web Engine V2/bin/IMSEngineV2.exe"
10. Alternatively just type the following in a console window to run WebEngine V2
"wine /home/guest/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Virtual Mechanics/Web Engine V2/bin/IMSEngineV2.exe"
That's it !, any questions, then please post them below.