Everything seems to be fine.
By everything i mean:
-Graphics (no extra* visual glitches were noticed)
-Optimization (the game runs smoothly)
* - Gothic 3 has a lot of known bugs, but their cause lay on the side of devs, rather than wine or linux.
What does not
What was not tested
The game seems to have 1024x768 resolution lock for some reason, that issue occurs in windows 8 & above as well. One of community patches was used to solve it.
Tbh it works even better on linux mint than windows 10 (in windows after fresh install there is a annoying problem with controls).
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"||Jul 14 2020||5.12||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Niobleoum|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)