Although I installed Gothic3 in my W2K-partition, Wine runs it (s. extra comments). Intro videos are played correctly. I can change the performance-settings without problems. Starting a new game (including the intro video) works, too. I did the first battle and encountered only one crash after loading a previously saved game.
What does not
The mouse escapes the window (I tried every(!) setting in winecfg - man, this really took some time) which makes playing and especially fighting very hard. I use Wine from the "Hardy"-repos, so I can't (and won't - lack of time) apply patches (bug#6971).
Although I've set "Direct3D" in regedit to "fbo" I sometimes encounter a black floor (minor, I guess it's related to bug#17637).
I can't change the keyboard controls (minor).
The allover perfomance of the game is not too impressive (I'm sorry to say, but W2K performs in a better way).
What was not tested
Playing longer than an hour.
If you want to run a Windows-installation of Gothic 3 you'll have to enter the shell and change to /media/winpart/path/to/gothic3/. Then run: wine Gothic3.exe I'm running a nVidia 7900gt with the official nVidia-driver nvidia-glx-new downloaded and installed from hardy-repositories (I'm not quite sure about the version-number, adept says: 169.2+ 18.104.22.168-23.56)
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 04 2014||1.6.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)