Installation, intro movies, game menus, tiny amount of gameplay.
What does not
Basically all gameplay.Â As soon as I drew my sword at the beginning of the game a memory dump occurred and the game crashed.Â I was able to equip a bow instead and fire a few arrows.Â However, the sky was black and the game ran slowly enough that it wasn't worth playing.
The mouse frequently left the virtual desktop I was emulating which was quite annoying but did not make the game unplayable, though I would have searched for a fix had the game been playable otherwise.
As mentioned, the sky was completely black and the graphics were too poor to do almost anything with the game.
I tried all of ORM=fbo, pbuffer, backbuffer, none of which made any difference or caused the game to not crash whenever i drew a sword.
The in-game sound did not seem to work though the sound played fine in all the intro movies.
What was not tested
Any extended gameplay, various configuration options.Â I patched the game to the community patch version 1.73, but didn't use various patches such as the one used to hack wine to recognizing mouse input.
GeForce 8800, 4 GB RAM, ADM Phenom quad-core
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 04 2014||1.6.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)