These results are for Gothic 3 Community Patch 1.75.14. Patch had been installed over the Steam version of the game.
What does not
What was not tested
Prolonged gameplay. Had spent about an hour playing the game in order to collect this test results.
Giving it "Gold" rating as the game seems to work perfectly @1920x1200 resolution with all gfx settings maxed (worst FPS is around 30 for locations with many complex objects and/or vegetation and around 50-60 on average), but requires (a) modifications to be manually applied to game's main configuration file to fix performance problems (described in "What doesn't work" section) and (b) using "AlwaysOffscreen=enabled" registry tweak to fix rendering errors. VC++ 2008 runtime that is auto-installed by Steam client as a dependency isn't actually required as the game has no problems starting up with Wine's built-in implementation of this library. Native d3dx9_40.dll (or d3dx9_36.dll as Wine would auto-forward calls from d3dx9_40 into it) is a hard requirement as game crashes with an assertion when built-in versions of this lib is used. PC configuration I had used to test the game: AMD FX 8120 CPU @3.1GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM GeForce GTX 550 Ti GPU with 1GB VRAM nVIDIA Binary Driver v.275.09.07 Linux kernel 220.127.116.11-3.lx2.fclx2.i686.PAE (it is kernel 3.1.10 which had been rebranded by Fedora devs to version 18.104.22.168).
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 04 2014||1.6.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)