Installing the game in a clear wineprefix, installing the community patch 1.75.14, intro videos, starting a new game, travelling around, (quick) loading and saving, talking to NPCs, trading, highest video settings (see extra comments), (re-)defining the keyboard controls, mouse input... I played about two hours without experiencing any crash.Â
What does not
Actually nothing, but you have to do some extra work (see extra comments).
What was not tested
Playing the whole game...
First of all make sure that you use the original d3dx9_36.dll and d3dx9_40.dll, otherwise the game will crash. After that install the community patch. Secondly, you have tor run regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Direct3D. Create a string "AlwaysOffScreen" and set it to "enabled". Alexey Loukianov (05/28/12) recommends to set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in ge3.ini. It works for my version of Gothic 3, too. I installed the game from original DVD (GOTY-German) and did not have to install DirectX, vcrun2008 and PhysX nor a no-CD-patch (great!).
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"||Jul 14 2020||5.12||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Niobleoum|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)