Installed the game from the original release DVD in a clean wine prefix without problems, then applied the Community Patch 1.75.14.
Game runs smoothly on highest settings without lag or stuttering.
Load/Save-times are the same as on Windows.
Have played the game for several hours now.
What does not
After extensive gameplay for some hours and lots of teleporting around the world, the game may occasionally crash ("Where Is The Guru?"-Error).
With the latest Community Patch, this did not happen in Windows at all, I suspect it may be related to the "Timer.ThreadSafe"-setting (see below)
What was not tested
As stated in other comments, I applied the original d3dx9_36.dll and d3dx9_40.dll, otherwise game did not work (menu works, but has no fonts. Loading a game leads to a black screen). At this point, however, I was disappointed because the game was stuttering, no matter what settings I choose in the options. After following the suggestion to set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in ge3.ini, game works perfectly.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"||Jul 14 2020||5.12||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Niobleoum|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)