Everything works flawlessly (see what does not work and not tested).
Notably the mouse works without problem compared to my vanilla Ubuntu 15.04 test.
Low quality settings work with my integrated graphics card.
What does not
Nothing subversive found.
Only full screen resolution worked but this seems to be Mac OS X - related because other games gave this issue too.
What was not tested
Only played for about 7 hours so far. Day 5. Level 15.
Patching, modding, jerry rigging not attempted.
Vanilla install. No Winetricks yet.
Only low quality settings attempted for now.
Discrete graphics card for higher settings use not attempted.
Latest Steam updates and implicit game version. Fun and accessible game. Worlds apart from predecessors!
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"||Jul 14 2020||5.12||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Niobleoum|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Current||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)