Installation runs out of the box. With some adjustments (1 dll has to be added, NoDVD-Patch needed) the game starts. Menu works well. The Game-Video works better than in WinXP for me ... (strange ...).
What does not
Sound is pain in the a.. stutters or doesn't work at all depending on soundserver. For me only ESD did it but did it bad. The Mouse is leaving the controlled window so controlling is not working satisfyingly. The graphics are mixed up but in the right direction. The font in the game (e.g. above the creatures heads) does not appear but little boxes instead of this.
What was not tested
I did not test a fullscreen start yet - also to fix the sound problem by using JACK has not yet been tested by me.
I'm not very experienced with wine but the success makes me looking forward being able to play Gothic 3 in a acceptable quality in a not to far future :-)
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 18 2018||3.4||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leonhard|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Apr 01 2016||1.9.5||N/A||Yes||Platinum||Jans de Jager|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 26 2014||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 04 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Gold||Luis Alvarado|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 04 2014||1.6.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
- install the game
- patch the game with your favorite patch (version 1.75.14 recommended)
- use native d3dx9_40.dll (native d3dx9_36.dll seems to work fine, too) - see d3dx9 installation
- you may set "Timer.ThreadSafe=false" in "Ini/ge3.ini" if the game has low frames
- you may enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg's graphics tab if you are using "Emulate virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will leave the window
- 7991: Try a newer graphics card (>= geforce 8)
- 10264: Copy protection is removed with Gothic 3 patch 1.5.2 or newer
- 31643: The game is shipped with vcomp.dll, so you likely will not notice this one
- 33479: Please use wine 1.5.28 (last known working version)
- tested with GeForce GTX 570/PCI/SSE2 and proprietary nvidia drivers (4.1.0 NVIDIA 280.11)
- tested with radeon HD 4350 and open source drivers (2.1 Mesa 8.0.3, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710)