Not applicable. The demo is just a single exe and hpi file, and I'm reasonably sure one cannot apply the 1.0-3.1c patch to the demo
Started fine. Seemed fluid. Things seemed to work
Not included with demo
What does not
- game wouldn't run for me without configuring a virtual desktop
- scrolling with the mouse to the top, bottom, and left worked fine, but to scroll to the right, I had to position the mouse exactly on the edge of the window (!= edge of screen, because my screen is 800x480, and window of Total Annihilation is 640x480), which is essentially unplayable for me.
What was not tested
- skirmish mode
It is tricky to rate this. There are two ratings possible, depending on hardware, specifically: screen hardware. If you have a monitor that can run at 640x480, the rating is probably platinum For people with LCDs, which I feel is increasingly the majority, and if the LCD cannot run at 640x480, I feel the rating is 'Bronze', since I had to run the game in a virtual desktop in order for it to run at all, and it was unusably difficult to scroll the screen to the right. The mouse pointer had to be positioned *exactly* over the edge of the virtual desktop window, which was far too annoying to actually play. Note that the full TA version, with 1.0-3.1c patch works fine in a virtual desktop: scrolling with a mouse is fine, but the demo was, for me, effectively unplayable. This despite the gaem installing and running perfectly without a hitch, but without being able to scroll around easily it's for me I feel a showstopper that renders the demo for me unplayable. For those with a monitor that can run at 640x480, the effective rating I feel is 'platinum'.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux||Jan 14 2011||1.3.11||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Benjamin Debski|
|Current||Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 09 2009||1.1.27||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Hugh Perkins|
|Show||GoboLinux 014||Oct 19 2008||1.1.6||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Nathan Bennett|
|Show||Gentoo Linux||Dec 02 2007||0.9.50.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||killertux|
|Show||Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 16 2007||0.9.29.||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
Please see how-to for version "Total Annihilation + Core Contingency + Battle Tactics + 3.1 patch" at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7306 , just ignore anything to do with multiplayer, core contingency installation and so on, and installation will be from the demo .exe , rather than from a cd.
Demo specific notes:
- I feel that the demo probably won't run playably unless you can set your screen resolution to 640x480.
- Note that the full TA retail version, with the 3.1c patch installed, is I feel fully playable, doesn't have the mouse scrolling issue that the demo has.
- essentially, unless you can set your screen resolution to 640x480, the demo will probably crash on startup, unless you use a virtual desktop. If you create a virtual desktop, you may find that scrolling with the mouse is unworkably difficult, because you have to position the mouse pointer exactly over the edge of the window.