The game installs from a retail disk or through Steam on Wine. Gameplay-wise, everything seems to be working outside of what is highlighted below.
Coaster building, park management, MixMaster displays, Fireworks, Lasers, Advanced Lasers (including drawing lasers), animal care, DartCam, CoasterCam, pools, saving and loading, the Peep editor (creating families, customizing, custom peeps showing up in-game), and cheats have so far all worked perfectly.
The gameplay is basically untouched by Wine from what I have experienced.
What does not
1. When installing on disk, the install slideshow was black and halfway off-screen. The game still installed, but there was no way to tell the progress of it.
2. Game did not play nicely with the window manager while in full screen.
3. Intro cinematics are frozen.
4. In game music does not work properly.
5. Occasional in-game sound clipping (possibly a non-Wine issue) and skipping (definitely a Wine issue).
6. Game crashes on exit.Â
The only major issue I experienced with no solution/workaround is the in-game music. My progress with the currently posted solutions is thus far:
1. K-lite codecs: Fixed the intro cutscene; in-game music played, but completely horrid and distorted. Quitting while music playing locked the game.
2. Converting in-game audio to MP3: the MP3 files show up in-game, but do not play when selected.
Trying WAV conversions resulted in crashes for 16 bit WAV files, and no audio (like the MP3) for 32 bit WAV.
What was not tested
Long term stability, different hardware set-ups, and the game's windowed mode were not tested.
Installs. Runs well. But no current fix for audio.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 16 2020||5.8||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Jean-Paul Anceaux|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 11 2019||4.0||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Leen Ixe|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 19 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Silver||5m9PGjktaQ4gO|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||Sep 29 2016||1.9.19||Yes||Yes||Silver||Maxwell|
|Show||Linux Mint 18 "Sarah"||Sep 18 2016||1.9.19||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
This is a how-to I posted over on shyguy's world on installing RCT3 when you have an nvidia optimus enabled graphics card.
Posted by Sander on Friday March 2nd 2012, 18:20
MP3 background music works fine.
Convert all music in /Atari/RollerCoaster Tycoon 3/Music/ to mp3 using ffmpeg. Then replace .wma with .mp3 in MusicGenre.txt
I will post a more in depth how to tomorrow when i have time.
however i did do a quick test with summerair.wma which is the default music and it seemed to work.
Please note that improving Mac Compatibility for RCT3 is taking a back burner as this game has now been released as a native Mac application as seen here: