- Installing the English patch
- Starting a new game
- Configuring settings, key bindings
- Saving and loading
- Sound effects
What does not
- Windowed mode does not seem to work. The game opens in fullscreen mode by default. Switching to windowed mode causes a window to appear but the rest of the screen remains black. Graphics were not correctly positioned within the window.
- I could not get Wine's virtual desktop functionality to work. The game still launched in fullscreen mode.
- Switching to another application and back causes the game to freeze & display a white screen.
- There was significant slowdown during the Amphisbaena boss fight, but it was playable.
- Changing screen stretch mode (F6) caused graphical distortion, however this didn't matter since the default mode worked fine.
- The game requires native DirectMusic dlls to run.
- I used the "winetricks directmusic" verb to install & configure the native Windows directmusic DLLs.
- Note: Installing the DLLs via the winetricks GUI and enabling them with winecfg didn't work for me. The game was able to launch but wouldn't play music. I also observed a log message indicating the application was unable to load the dmime dll at runtime.
- Using a 32-bit wine prefix with the windows version set to Windows XP seemed to work the best. (I'm not sure if setting the Windows version actually made any difference.)
What was not tested
- Gameplay was only tested for the early parts of the game, primarily the "Guidance Gate" area and first boss fight. Later areas/bosses were not tested.
- GPU: Intel
- Driver: proprietary
The GR3 Project website is no longer available but the game and English fan translation patch may be downloaded from Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/La...) or Aeon Genesis (https://agtp.romhack.net/proje..., includes manual).