After a LOT of tinkering around with Wine's Window's system files (adding certain ones being complained about because they didn't exist - as well as through the ones listed in the TODO via winetricks) the game was able to install.
Additionally, it will start up, but the video's are very off with the audio (which is also mentioned below) The main menu's display fine, but take several seconds longer to do things than they should - for example, when you hover the mouse over a menu item, it should 'glow' white, but it takes a second or two to do that. When you go to start a campaign a video plays in the background, and that video is very slow as well.
When I go into the game, the framerate is unplayable, one frame every 10 seconds, or so. I turned down all of the video options and I still get the same. Interestingly, the mouse moves around just fine, but doing anything else just doesn't work.
What does not
Everything I tested seems to work, just VERY poorly.
What was not tested
Extended gameplay, multiplayer.
Just to note, I tried following the todo, but winetricks seems to be very unstable and was not able to install certain things (such as the gdi package) Additionally, I am unable to install any patches for the game because I get a Microsoft .NET runtime error when it tries to load mscorwks.dll (This is a package from winetricks, but re-installing .net 2 hasn't helped) - Note that this error came up only AFTER I installed .net via winetricks, the updates just gave other .NET errors before that.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 8.x "Jessie" x86_64||May 21 2017||2.8||Yes||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 8.x "Jessie" x86_64||Feb 25 2017||2.0||N/A||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 21 2016||1.9.14||Yes||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 18 2016||1.6.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Feb 08 2014||1.6||Yes||Yes||Silver||Igor|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|18762||Supreme Commander slows down to 1 frame every 60 sec||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|20456||Multiple applications have text rendering issues with 'Courier New' font using distro provided Liberation fonts (cut off/partial text display)(FEAR, AoE 3, Supreme Commander, fasmw 1.x)||STAGED||View|
|31581||Supreme Commander (steam version) shows a black screen on start when bloom rendering enabled||NEW||View|
Getting it to work:
The patcher won't display anything. It takes a quite a while, but it's definitely doing something!
This patch is essential, since it disables the (broken) DVD check
Starting with Patch 3251, the patcher might fail. To test it yourself, you will need Mono, gdiplus, dotnet20 and vcrun2005 (use winetricks). Good Luck.
If that doesn't work, try installing the patches in a virtual machine running Windoze or stick with 3220
Use a recent winetricks to install xact
You may also need to set your sample rate to 48000 in winecfg's Audio tab
If you're still running into problems, try starting the game with the /novalidate switch
Also, if SupCom complains about insufficient video memory or crashes very early into the game,
try creating the string HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\VideoMemorySize with a value >64, e.g. 128
- HAARP (main maintainer)
- Wouldn't you like to know