Starting the game.
Campaign gameplay is smoothe.
What does not
I had trouble with some of the winetricks packages and, as a result, was not able to get the game's installer to work.
The whole game is a little sluggish (the menu's are a little slow, the tutorial is slow for me as well)
In-game videos (the faces of people as they talk during a campaign, for instance) play very slowly, although the audio plays normally.
What was not tested
A problem I had with a previous test where the game froze upon loading was the result of having 'fidelity' set to '2'. Changing this to '0' (zero) fixes the problem for me. I started a bug to address this, but (after I found the resolution) noted that a similar cause resulted in the 'black bar' bug also associated with this game. However, setting the offscreenbuffer to 'fbo' did not work for me. Also, I got a console error regarding resolutions that aren't compatible. I don't think this effects gameplay, but the error goes away (and possibly speeds up gameplay a tiny bit) if the game's resolution is either the one used for the desktop or otherwise matches a working resolution/refresh rate in Xorg.conf.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 8.x "Jessie" x86_64||May 21 2017||2.8||Yes||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 8.x "Jessie" x86_64||Feb 25 2017||2.0||N/A||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 21 2016||1.9.14||Yes||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 18 2016||1.6.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||Centrino|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Feb 08 2014||1.6||Yes||Yes||Silver||Igor|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|18762||Supreme Commander slows down to 1 frame every 60 sec||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|20456||Multiple applications have text rendering issues with 'Courier New' font using distro provided Liberation fonts (cut off/partial text display)(FEAR, AoE 3, Supreme Commander, fasmw 1.x)||STAGED||View|
|31581||Supreme Commander (steam version) shows a black screen on start when bloom rendering enabled||NEW||View|
Getting it to work:
The patcher won't display anything. It takes a quite a while, but it's definitely doing something!
This patch is essential, since it disables the (broken) DVD check
Starting with Patch 3251, the patcher might fail. To test it yourself, you will need Mono, gdiplus, dotnet20 and vcrun2005 (use winetricks). Good Luck.
If that doesn't work, try installing the patches in a virtual machine running Windoze or stick with 3220
Use a recent winetricks to install xact
You may also need to set your sample rate to 48000 in winecfg's Audio tab
If you're still running into problems, try starting the game with the /novalidate switch
Also, if SupCom complains about insufficient video memory or crashes very early into the game,
try creating the string HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\VideoMemorySize with a value >64, e.g. 128
- HAARP (main maintainer)
- Wouldn't you like to know