The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Version 1.2.x (GOTY, with Shivering Islands downloadable content or official 1.2 patch)
What does not
What was not tested
OK, so I give Platinum Rate but there is such a bug in Debian Jessie. I don't know what about other distros. I installed the game from cd and all DLCs but when you run the game your character at the beginning sliding auto to the left and that's was a big problem because Debian detecting in this game joystick which is not plugged into PC. The game was completely unplayable because you can't do nothing. All you can do is watching how hard you character pushing the wall. Yeah I know it's funny..... BUT THERE IS a SOLUTION TO ALL WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM: You need to find "OBLIVION.INI" file in your virtual disc. The file is in My Documents on virtual drive of game. Then you need to find 'bUSE Joystick = 1" and change 1 to 0. After this you need save the file and you can now play the game. WARNING: There is one more "Oblivion.ini" file in your game folder but DO NOT CHANGE it nothing on that file or your game will gonna crash. This bug is also active even if do not have plugged any devices to your PC [Xbox 360 pad etc] Regards.
|Distribution||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Rating||Submitter|
|Current||Debian GNU/Linux 8.x "Jessie" x86_64||Mar 16 2017||2.3||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Arthur Nismo|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jan 24 2017||2.0-rc6||Yes||Yes||Gold||Justin Kinnaird|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Apr 19 2016||1.9.8||Yes||Yes||Platinum||llde|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Feb 09 2016||1.9.2||Yes||Yes||Platinum||llde|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.10 "Yosemite"||Aug 30 2015||1.7.50||No, but has workaround||Yes||Gold||Dave Johnson|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|16302||[oblivion] can not skip the intro movie by press ESC||NEW||View|
|19967||Oblivion - crashes in quartz if compiled without mpg123||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|20074||Oblivion: black skin of main hero without native d3dx9_27.dll||NEW||View|
|37508||Some Bethesda games sometimes freeze during gameplay||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|40198||Oblivion: corrupted screenshot using the stamp key||UNCONFIRMED||View|
If you're using WINE version 1.3.x or above, you can launch the game without any native DirectX DLLs, but bug #20074 is still actual for now, therefore installing DirectX9 or just placing d3dx9_27.dll to your drive_c/windows/system32 directory would be preferable.
Since stable release 1.2.1 Oblivion Game of the year works stable on many popular distros.
Although, if you're running older WINE or have some regression issues, you can use some tips listed below.
Prior running the game,you will need to obtain d3dx9_27.dll. You can obtain it using winetricks
Or you can get this from the DirectX supplied with Oblivion like this (guide adapted from http://uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Linux):
cp d3dx9_27.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
If the game fails to start, try renaming the Video folder in the Data directory. The videos should work since Wine 0.9.45.
Alternatively you can enter the Video directory and remove some specific files that could cause a crash. my Video folder currently contains these files: 'bethesda softworks HD720p.bik', ' Map loop.bik', 'OblivionOutro.bik' ,'CreditsMenu.bik' and 'Oblivion iv logo.bik'; and works fine with an unaltered main menu screen.
Currently it's needed to enter some additional registry entries into Wine manually prior running the game. VideoMemorysize to the memory size your video card has. Optional key is OffscreenRenderingMode, where value 'fbo' is recommended and value 'pbuffer' has best results. See the example .reg file below:
pbuffer is only recommended if you are using 0.9.38. Should you choose to use pbuffer instead of fbo, you may have to switch off refraction shader in game's Oblivion.ini file to workaround bug 8184.
Users of ATI cards may have to set the following in Oblivion.ini to prevent it from producing solid colors on the screen.
If you experience game freezes on combat start or combat end, these are related to music change. Try loading native quartz.dll instead of Wine one. Or workaround by setting the following in Oblivion.ini
If you are having problems, or would like more info on running The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion more smoothly, please see the Oblivion Linux Wiki.
When you paste the comment about game graphic lag or other issue, please write your system information within the comment text!
For example, under GNU/Linux you can use following commands:
$ uname -a
$ wine --version
$ lspci | grep -i vga
And paste the output with system hardware info to the comment text. Nobody can help you without this essential information!
If you have tested newer version of WINE, you can process some next lines to test bug #20074 presence:
$ mkdir /tmp/mywinejail
$ export WINEPREFIX="/tmp/mywinejail"
$ wine "C:\MyProgram.exe"
This lines creates EMPTY directory in /tmp and your program starts without any overrides, in a FULLY CLEAR WINE PREFIX.
For our OBLIVION you can process something like that:
[assume that Oblivion prefix is "~/.wine"]
$ cp -PR ~/.wine /tmp/mywinejail
$ rm -rf /tmp/mywinejail/drive_c/windows*
$ export WINEPREFIX="/tmp/mywinejail"
$ wine "C:\Program Files\Oblivion\OblivionLauncher.exe"
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
- RE: by James Gangur on Wednesday December 7th 2016, 3:10
- RE: 1.9.21 Problem at Start Screen / Silent Impact Sounds by Carl on Friday October 28th 2016, 14:30
- RE: 1.9.21 Problem at Start Screen / Silent Impact Sounds by tombo on Monday October 31st 2016, 17:20
- RE: 1.9.21 Problem at Start Screen / Silent Impact Sounds by James Gangur on Wednesday December 7th 2016, 3:10
- RE: 3D Audio issues with Wine 1.7.34+ by James Gangur on Tuesday February 24th 2015, 23:22
- RE: 3D Audio issues with Wine 1.7.34+ by Kol on Friday April 24th 2015, 20:37
- RE: 3D Audio issues with Wine 1.7.34+ by Jordyn on Saturday May 2nd 2015, 18:57
- RE: 3D Audio issues with Wine 1.7.34+ by James Gangur on Thursday May 7th 2015, 1:46
- RE: sound problems by Lazarus on Saturday January 26th 2013, 15:35
- RE: sound problems by Lazarus on Saturday January 26th 2013, 17:03
- RE: can't go to ingame console by Vit Hrachovy on Monday May 21st 2012, 4:37
- RE: OBSE + OBGE by Marc Even on Tuesday May 15th 2012, 15:32
- RE: Oblivion.exe crashes by Patricia on Wednesday January 18th 2012, 22:27
- RE: Oblivion.exe crashes by PD Cant on Thursday January 19th 2012, 21:57
- RE: Oblivion.exe crashes by PD Cant on Friday January 20th 2012, 0:15
- RE: Oblivion.exe crashes by PD Cant on Friday January 20th 2012, 0:20
- RE: Oblivion.exe crashes by Leopard Blanc on Friday January 20th 2012, 3:45
- RE: Oblivion.exe crashes by Sakul on Sunday March 11th 2012, 12:33
- RE: Sound Problems? by MassteR on Monday November 21st 2011, 1:30
- RE: OBGE + OBSE + Wrye Bash by John on Tuesday September 10th 2013, 3:08
- RE: libc crash by Daniel on Wednesday August 17th 2011, 1:02
- RE: Mouse support. by Seth Woodworth on Saturday March 12th 2011, 23:31
- RE: Mouse support. by ML on Sunday March 13th 2011, 14:15
- RE: Mouse support. by Dheart on Sunday March 20th 2011, 16:23
- RE: Mouse support. Fixed in 1.3.18? by Mikael Åkersund on Friday April 8th 2011, 14:53
- RE: Mouse support. by unikum on Saturday June 25th 2011, 12:47
- RE: Running OBSE by Pierre Geier on Thursday October 21st 2010, 6:17
- RE: Running OBSE by MassteR on Sunday October 24th 2010, 5:40
- RE: Character keeps on running. by Guy Lunsford on Saturday September 18th 2010, 13:34
- RE: Character keeps on running. by Uli on Sunday September 19th 2010, 11:21
- RE: Character keeps on running. by MassteR on Sunday October 24th 2010, 5:42
- RE: Character keeps on running. by Uli on Tuesday October 26th 2010, 15:03
- RE: Character keeps on running. by MassteR on Thursday October 28th 2010, 1:00
- RE: Character keeps on running. by Uli on Saturday October 30th 2010, 6:37
- RE: Character keeps on running. by Romul on Saturday January 7th 2012, 0:13
- RE: antialiasing by Kol on Sunday August 15th 2010, 20:21