Installation, Map View, selection of regions for export, export of regions to harddrive, POI search, waypoint creation.
What does not
GPS connection (autodetection fails) automatic serial number detection (must type it in manually), SD card programmer upload (must export to harddrive then manually transfer as the connected gps is not seen as a removable device).
3D View fails with the error: "Unsupported display mode! You should use High Color (16 bits) or True Color (32 bits) modes in order to run 3-D View"
What was not tested
GPS interface features
Installation on pure wine install began, but failed after the a few percent with an error code of -15, saying it could not install drivers. I installed winetools and ran the base system setup, then installation completed successfully. In order for the application to run successfully, I had to go into winecfg and set the windows version to XP or 2000. CD #3 appears to magellan to be copied, so you may have to apply the patch available here: http://freightyard.net/projects/MagellanGPS/, which bypasses the startup check for cd 3. The automated version requires visual basic runtime 6, which can be installed using winetools.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 03 2007||0.9.38.||Yes||Yes||Silver||Elyk|
|Current||Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 09 2007||0.9.34.||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Elyk|
If installation fails using pure wine, try using winetools:
1. Download winetools from http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/ . Extract the archive, cd to the directory, and run sudo ./install.
2. Type wt to start winetools.
3. Under base setup, perform the following: Create a Fake Windows drive, TrueType Font Arial, DCOM98 (may end with a message saying a newer version is already installed; this is not a problem), DCOM98, Microsoft Foundation Classes 4.x. You may also wish to install IE6 SP1; Magellan may or may not require it for basic functionality but many other programs do.
4. Return to main menu, select "Install Windows System Software", and install Visual Basic 6 Runtime.
5. Insert the first Magellan CD, and launch setup.exe. Go through installation as normal.
6. Run winecfg.
7. Select the "Applications" tab.
8. Click "Add Application"
9. Navigate to Program Files\Magellan\MapSend Topo 3D USA and select Mapsend.exe.
10 Set windows version to Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
11. See the other note for a noCD patch
You should be up and running.