Nearly all features; see list of what does not work
What does not
GPS Autodetection (application crashes), 3D view (gives error about needing 16 or 32 bit color, probably because wine reports the value of 24 bits that x gives it)
What was not tested
Any features related to gps transfers
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 03 2007||0.9.38.||Yes||Yes||Silver||Elyk|
|Show||Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 09 2007||0.9.34.||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Elyk|
If installation fails using pure wine, try using winetools:
1. Download winetools from http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/ . Extract the archive, cd to the directory, and run sudo ./install.
2. Type wt to start winetools.
3. Under base setup, perform the following: Create a Fake Windows drive, TrueType Font Arial, DCOM98 (may end with a message saying a newer version is already installed; this is not a problem), DCOM98, Microsoft Foundation Classes 4.x. You may also wish to install IE6 SP1; Magellan may or may not require it for basic functionality but many other programs do.
4. Return to main menu, select "Install Windows System Software", and install Visual Basic 6 Runtime.
5. Insert the first Magellan CD, and launch setup.exe. Go through installation as normal.
6. Run winecfg.
7. Select the "Applications" tab.
8. Click "Add Application"
9. Navigate to Program Files\Magellan\MapSend Topo 3D USA and select Mapsend.exe.
10 Set windows version to Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
11. See the other note for a noCD patch
You should be up and running.