Battlefield 1942 with the 1.6 patch from www.ea.com. This patch includes new multiplayer levels, new weapons, and an updated physics engine.
- Installing after copying CDs to harddisk
- Patching and applying No-CD-Crack using cracked patch from GCW
- Starting the game
- LAN Multiplayer
- Sound (excellent using OSS, worse using ALSA)
- GFX (everything, no strange errors like missing bodies)
All tested with:
- Battlefield 1942
- Battlefield 1942 - The Road to Rome
- Battlefield 1942 - Secret Weapons of World War II
Desktop effects have to be disabled!!!
What does not
- Starting without No-CD-Crack (Although I think it might work, I didn't try setting up the CD-ROM drive correctly in winecfg)
- LAN Lobby (you join games via entering the server's ip in the "Internet" tab using the button "Add server" (or however it's called in the englich version) Maybe this can be fixed by using native DirectPlay files?)
- The intro video (shows black screen; skip it by pressing "Enter" or simply delete contents of the "Movies" folder in the folder you instaled it to)
- Sometimes crashes when server is closed
- Game exits to desktop on mapchange but returns after few seconds (so don't restart!)
- Sometimes I got strange installer errors right before the first dialog opened. There where two different errors if the one occured and I restarted the installer, the other occured.
After restarting the installer about 10 times erverything worked again.
What was not tested
- Internet play
- Beeing LAN server (should work however, it's not very different from singleplayer)
feel free to message me (click my name) if you need further informations (e.g. cracking)
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Pop!_Os 20.10||Apr 09 2021||6.0||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Henrique Terto|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux Unstable "Sid" x86_64||Apr 02 2019||4.5-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Honki Tonk|
|Show||Debian 10.x "Buster"||Jan 28 2018||3.0-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||EETagent|
|Show||Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" x86-64||Aug 25 2017||2.12-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Mark Arb|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 20 2016||1.9.14||Yes||Yes||Platinum||JeffZ|
To start the game from a terminal: $ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EA\ Games/Battlefield\ 1942 $ wine BF1942.EXE
The main menu resolution being different from the in-game resolution is normal: the game programmers hard coded the menu screen to a fixed resolution.
If you want a faster startup time, you can delete the .bik files in the Movie folder and it will load directly to the menu.
There is some confusion over whether or not online play works with Punkbuster.
Punkbuster works for up to 30 minutes, thereafter it attempts to update itself, when the update occurs it fails to run correctly causing you to be kicked from a punkbuster enabled server.
Servers that do not require punkbuster work 100% - there are several out there.
This note is true of wine version 0.9.58.
Punkbuster enabled servers appear to work ok with Wine 1.1.10 or greater.
Atleast with 1.1.13 and 1.1.14, online play has stopped working
Unfortunately due to the design of Punkbuster it will never work in Wine without the cooperation of Evenbalance, it is designed to compare the internals of Windows while the game runs to make sure nothing is modified. As Wine is not Windows, it will always detect a problem.