Spiceworks is free network management software designed for medium sized networks. It combines inventory, monitoring, help desk
and community Q&A into one easy-to-use application. It enables you
to quickly and conveniently inventory the hardware, software, and
patches that reside on your network; monitor your network for new
software, license compliance violations, low disk space, offline
servers, low printer supplies; report easily on the information you
need to manage your network; track network issues and your projects
with trouble tickets; ask questions to the Spiceworks community of IT
professionals worldwide. Spiceworks requires no agents to be installed
Version 1.5 updates:
- Wake on LAN is now turned off by default and now configurable via the Settings -> Network tab
- Exporting reports to CSV or Excel are now formatted correctly
- You can now browse right to an asset without having to wait for the asset group to load
- Addition of Last Login information for a device, now available on the Configuration Tab for a device and flyover quick view. You can now pivot on this value as well.
- Create Ticket link is now back on the Help Desk Page
- We've removed the Spiceworks logo in the End User Help Portal after users reported confusion for their end users. It now just has your company name.
- Fixed invalid serial numbers being passed up from the BIOS of certain devices
- Fix for duplicate serial numbers
Installing spicworks works just fine.
What does not
Running Spicworks after the installation fails.
When trying to run Spicworks there is a R6034 ATL80.DLL error.
Here is some debugging info. I have also put a copy of atl80.dll in the windows/system (and system32) folders to no avail.
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW 00000000 (null) 2 L"atl80.dll" 0x347adc
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "ATL80.DLL" failed to initialize, aborting err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Spiceworks\\ruby\\lib\\ruby\\gems\\1.8\\gems\\spiceworks_updates-1.5.2\\data\\SpiceTray.exe" failed, status c0000142
I have tried setting different modes of Wine to Win2003, XP, 2000, and even 98. All had the same problem. I even tried changing the ATL library from "Native Windows" and "Built-in Wine" with the same effect.
What was not tested
Development version of Wine or older versions of Spicworks.
Link to the forum thread I posted on spicworks.com http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2451
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Fedora Core 6||Jun 12 2007||0.9.36.||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 16 2007||0.9.35.||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Current||Linux Mint 2.2 "Bianca"||Apr 16 2007||0.9.35.||Yes||No||Garbage||HyTeK|
|Show||Linux Mint 2.2 "Bianca"||Apr 15 2007||0.9.34.||Yes||No||Garbage||HyTeK|