Autodesk 3DsMax 9 (32Bit)
1. Rendering (F9), Texturing (M), Modeling Views, Mental ray rendering, Animation and Plugin scripts.
2. DirectX (not Open GL)
3. Window resizing works now with the right window gadgets.
What does not
1. OpenGL mode option.
2. Unable to register the product from trial version, I can not see anything in the register license window (Empty) or shows no URL to server.
3. Screen redrawing works when view mode changed to expert. (Crashes)
4. Dragging and dropping textures (.bmp or Png) onto the materials window from Linux desktop does not work.
5. Dragging panels from the main window may work but moving them on the desktop does not. Invisible shape with background shadow showing the shape of the window, the window contents is invisible.
6. 64Bit version of 3dsmax9 refuses to install on 64/Ubuntu11.04 and 64/10.10
What was not tested
Running Macro Scripts
Not many, but will add in time.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 17 2015||1.7.54||Yes||No||Garbage||keith|
|Show||Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 17 2015||1.6.2||Yes||Yes||Silver||keith|
|Show||Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 23 2013||1.6||Yes||Yes||Platinum||keith|
|Show||Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 23 2012||1.5.20||Yes||No||Garbage||keith|
|Show||Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Nov 27 2012||1.5.18||Yes||No||Garbage||keith|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|30129||Screen in 3d Studio Max v9 refresh badly||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31434||Menu is activated by alt key while mouse button is down||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|32316||3dsmax 9 32bit||NEEDINFO||View|
|32317||3dsmax 9 32bit - Registration window||UNCONFIRMED||View|
Autodesk no longer support download links for 3dsmax9 so I will provide the links from my archive, contact me and I will send you a link to a trail version.
To get 3dsmax working and running.
If running from 64bit do
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg
Do not install any winetricks repos the first time around with a clean wine prefix as with some versions max will install first time.
winetricks msxml3 msxml6 dotnet20 cc580 vcrun2003
env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks msxml3 msxml6 dotnet20 cc580 vcrun2003
When running the 3dsmax.exe installer de-select metal-ray satellite and continue as normal with the install process.
This works for wine version 1.6.2 with Ubuntu 15.04 32/64bit
Use the license import utility to transfer your windows 3dsmax9 license.
If 3dsMax9 doesn't work try this.
Fix: Use OpenGL as graphics mode.
1) Save a new .reg file with these informations:
2) Type "wine regedit" in a shell window and "import" the .reg file previously saved.
3) Type "winecfg" in a shell window and check "Emulate a virtual desktop".
4) Type "wine 3dsmax.exe -h" and
choose OpenGL as graphics mode.
first time running of max will show a tutorial window; make sure you check the box "Don't show this again".
Keith (X-Seti) if your still having problems do a search for me on google.