Most basic draw 2d/3d functions
Most drafting commands
Camera works as expected
What does not
Crashes when attempting to save or load.
Crashes when attempting to create new document.
Crashes when some dialogs are opened.
Lisence screen does not work, all that can be seen is two radio buttons on a white background.
Help search bar appears regardless of what virtual desktop is active.
Some fonts do not render legibly
Detached menus do not behave properly.
What was not tested
The only gamestopper I see so far is the Save/Load/New drawing issue. If that can be resolved, I would say that Autocad 2008 on wine is ready enough for use on linux.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Elementary OS Freya||Mar 25 2018||3.0||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Dennis Mayr|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 01 2014||1.7.19||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 15 2014||1.7.12||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 17 2013||1.4.1||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 05 2012||1.4||Yes||Yes||Silver||Andy Bauer|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|12501||Multiple application installers need mspatcha.dll ApplyPatchToFileA/W implementation (Microsoft Delta Compression API)||NEW||View|
|12563||Autocad 2008 installer crashes when trying to configure install||NEW||View|
|17743||AutoCAD 2008 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2008: Undocked toolbars are displayed incorrectly||NEW||View|
|18175||AutoCAD 2008: Pop menu in Text Formating doesn't work correctly||ASSIGNED||View|
|18263||AutoCAD 2008: Insert Ole Object window needs OleUIInsertObjectW||NEW||View|
|25974||AutoCAD 2009 LT: acadlt.msi doesn't start installer||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|26604||AutoCAD 2008: Hang-up after closing preview window||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31704||AutoCAD 2008: Next button doesn't work in activation window||UNCONFIRMED||View|
by NSLW on (February 7th 2009)
Preparing for install
1. Use recent version of Wine (tested with wine-1.7.41)
2. Download winetricks by following command
3. Install required components by following command
sh winetricks dotnet20sp2
It will take some time because winetricks will download all above components
1. From CD's
I didn't tested this method.
2. From HDD
2.1 copy content of both CD's to single directory on your hdd
2.2 navigate to this directory and run setup.exe
2.3 make default install
The setup should create shortcut on your desktop if not create a launcher manually (Type: Application ; Command: env WINEPREFIX="/home/EnterYourUserNameHere/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2008\acad.exe")
1. turn off compiz fusion
2. in winecfg: under "Graphics" tab uncheck "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" then Apply
3. in AutoCAD: Tools-> Options -> System ->Performance Settings -> Manual Tune -> change Driver name to OpenGL
1. No possibility to configure setup
2. No possibility to activate the product
3. Toolbars don't display correctly if undocked but you can still move and dock them
Installing Service Pack
1. download autocad2008lockedsp1.exe from e.g. here
2. install autocad2008lockedsp1.exe
3 (optional). In case of problems reinstall Visual C++ 2005 runtime libraries by sh winetricks vcrun2005
If you would like to save time and don't want to reinstall AutoCAD every 30 days do as described below.
1. after installation and before first run of AutoCAD make yourself a backup of "system.reg" file which is in "~/.wine/"
2. after 30 days delete "Software Licenses" directory which is in "~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Application Data/Autodesk/" and recover your backup you've made in first point