Caveat: Not tested with live servers. Free shard Uthgard was tested via DAoCPortal.
All important functions and areas of the game on Uthgard can be made to "work" albeit at perhaps unacceptable performance levels for serious play. I have tested the game connected to a free shard via DAoCPortal which barely sneaks by on a bronze rating of it's own with an installation of mono 2.1, some dll monkey-business, some mid-update permission changes, the use of "mono" to execute the updater, etc. Depending on what order you approach the tinkering and your experience level plan on many hours of fiddling and tinkering and taking notes about what worked and what didn't. Place the installation of DAoC OUTSIDE of the prefix because you'll probably delete the prefix a half dozen times before you get the program to even launch correctly...
Once all the hurdles are jumped, the game will launch, connect to server, play, etc.
On a 2.9GHZ Athlon II, performance is very good in most areas that have a small number of character/mob models to render. The game is playable for solo grinding and crafting in most areas.
When PixelShaderMode=disabled and VertexShaderMode = none or hardware, the graphical options are limited to "classic" models/terrain etc. When PixelShaderMode=enabled and VertexShaderMode = none, more of the modern graphical options are available to choose from, however, performance is still limited...
the terrain/trees seem to work fine if you opt for the PSM=enabled mode. (wine 1.4.1 drops the option in winecfg to adjust pixel and vertex shader settings so you will need to either use winetricks or regedit)
What does not
Hardware acceleration does not work. (when configured with either psm or vsm or both disabled, the game runs but the gpu is not doing any of the work, no load detectable).
The game will aways crash out if the pixel shader and vertex shaders are both enabled. (one of the following must be set ...Direct3D registry keys: PixelShaderMode=disabled -or- VertexShaderMode=none )
CAT models are either not available or don't display correctly depending on the shader settings.
Some graphical effects cause serious hits to FPS and any place with ~10 or more characters visible on screen will drag FPS down to noticably choppy levels. Group work, rvr,
GTX460 768MB edition is installed and providing hardware acceleration for opengl everywhere else just fine (including in other games run through wine, like supreme commander 2 via steam). I have tried to get hardware rendering to work in this game with several versions of the NV binary drivers (both manually installed and the "mint" options shown in "additional drivers" (package manager)). 32 bit libs are installed. No luck...
What was not tested
I have not tested all areas of the game or all settings near water so....
I have not been able to test a "vertex blending" patched copy of wine installed to the machine but any results of such a test would not be applicable here anyway. Unfortunately, attempts to compile 32 bit patched wine from mint 14 have proven to be bordering on impossible. 32 and 64 bit versions of "vertex blending" wine builds (1.3.34, 1.3.28 and 1.2.3) on playonlinux do not resolve the crashing with the psm and vsm options enabled or the lack of hardware acceleration with one or the other disabled. Interestingly enough, the opengl performance is better but with lower image quality if you revert to the Nouveau driver. I don't believe the revert to the free driver results in any hardware rendering, I just think it removes a handful of support for gl extensions, the result of which is less load per frame, better fps, etc. Unfortunately, this is not a practical solution for most people since most other programs and games that leverage opengl will run far better with the binary driver. ----------- Final thoughts: I would be thrilled if a coding ninja somewhere could figure out a solution to the wine "max vertex blends" issue that could be wrapped up in a normal release of wine. Though I understand why this isn't a top priority at this time.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 14 2020||5.0||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Jus de Patate_|
|Show||Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" x86_64||Aug 26 2014||1.7.24||Yes||Yes||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Current||Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" x86_64||Feb 18 2013||1.4.1||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||openSUSE 12.1 x86_64||Feb 19 2012||1.4-rc4||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Feldspar|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"||Feb 05 2011||1.3.12||No, but has workaround||Yes||Silver||MikaN|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|3548||.lnk file is created on the desktop together with the program icon...||NEW||View|
|39057||Support for Indexed Vertex Blending||STAGED||View|
|40646||Game Launcher fails with "Error occurred during a cryptographic operation".||UNCONFIRMED||View|
Using FBO as the ORM crashes with fglrx drivers
This is not a Wine bug, it is a fglrx bug. Please do not open a bug for this, it will just be closed.
See the fglrx bug for more details, or check the HOWTO for this app for a workaround.