The CS3 installer starts. Language selection works.
What does not
Adobe CS3 installer fails with the messag "The software cannot be installed because Jscript is not properly registered. Please repair Jscript and restart the installer.". When Jscript is installed and registered (see Additional Comments), the installer disapears after "Install Adobe CS3" is clicked.
What was not tested
The actual program
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 11 2014||1.7.12||No, but has workaround||Yes||Bronze||Pekka Helenius|
|Show||Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 03 2011||1.3.21||No||Not installable||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 13 2009||1.1.20||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 03 2008||0.9.58.||N/A||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Current||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 19 2007||0.9.47.||No||Not installable||Garbage||Stephen Gentle|
2015-040-20 Admin note: the following was extracted from a user comment made in 2014 and may not be relevant to current Wine.
How to install Adobe After Effects CS3 to Wine 1.7.12 using 32-bit PREFIX.
A. You need a native Windows installation (Dual Boot, VirtualBox etc...)
B. Download and install modified Regshot-2 in your native Windows OS. You can grab the program here:
1. Open X-Regshot-2.exe. Go to File -> Options. Uncheck the following options:
Common options -tab: Uncheck option "Check files in the specified folders"
Close Options window.
2. Regshot-2 main window. Configure the folder where captured registry entries should be saved. By editing "Folder for store report" option.
3. Regshot-2 main window. Before Adobe After Effects CS3 installation press button "1st shot".
4. Close Regshot-2 window. It asks you to save .hiv file somewhere. Save it, you will need that file later.
5. It's time to install Adobe After Effects CS3. Install the Adobe software like you would do normally.
6. Reboot your Windows installation/machine.
7. Open Regshot-2 once again. Go to 1st shot -> Open -> Open the .hiv file you saved earlier. Regshot loads the 1st shot file.
8. Now press "2nd shot" button in Regshot-2 main window. If the program does not start comparing registry changes automatically, tell it to do so by pressing Compare button.
9. After having listed registry modifications etc. go to the folder where registry modifications are stored (you configured that folder in step 2.) You should have two .reg files there: one ending with syntax "Redo" and another with "Undo". We need Redo -registry file. (For uninstallation Undo -registry entry works if normal uninstallation procedures fail otherwise)
11. Close Regshot-2.
12. Copy following folders from your Windows to Linux Wine installation folder
NOTE: x86 syntax is used in 64-bit Windows systems. If you have 32-bit Windows installation, Program Files(x86) is just Program Files.
NOTE: variable USERNAME refers to your username in Linux installation.
C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS3
C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3
C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe Device Central CS3
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CS3
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Bridge CS3
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Device Central CS3
C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Asset Services CS3
C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3
C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Bridge CS3 Extensions
C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Scripting Dictionaries CS3
C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS3
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe Asset Services CS3
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe Version Cue CS3
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Bridge CS3 Extensions
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Scripting Dictionaries CS3
->>> /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Startup Scripts CS3
13. Go to /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CS3/Support Files/Plug-ins/Format
14. Rename CNImported.AEX file to -> CNImported.AEX.old
15. Open terminal and run 'wine regedit' without quote marks.
16. Go to Registry -> Import registry file (NOTE: I don't have english version of Wine and some names may be incorrect but you got the idea, anyway)
17. Import Redo -registry entry, created earlier by Regshot-2
18. Adobe After Effects CS3 should work now. All you need to do is to create a proper shortcut. To create shortcut easily, you should use a handy program known as wlcreator (Wine Launcher Creator). It's a python script, and can be downloaded here:
Use provided .deb -package if you use Debian or Ubuntu based Linux distribution.
19. To get Quicktime work properly, use the following command to install it:
I'm pretty sure you need some additional winetricks stuff in order to get After Effects function normally.
winetricks atmblib riched20 riched30 msxml6 vb6run vcrun6 vcrun2010 vcrun2008 vcrun2005
20. Have fun with Adobe After Effects CS3. The actual program functionality is not tested. It should be done separately.
Right, I did some additional testing
winetricks atmlib doesn't exist, so forget it.
Additionally, install following winetricks packages:
winetricks gdiplus ie6
gdiplus must at least be installed, otherwise the program windows can't be rendered and popup error message is shown. Not sure about ie6.
After these additional instructions the program should start out of the box.