Installation, and some parts of the geoscape.
What does not
No sound/music, and the game crashes for me shortly after detecting the first UFO
What was not tested
Tested using both native and nonnative d3dx9_26.dll from the howto.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 16 2012||1.5.6||Yes||Yes||Gold||Michael W|
|Show||Gentoo Linux||Feb 21 2009||1.1.15||Yes||Yes||Silver||MarcelS|
|Show||Fedora 9||Nov 21 2008||1.1.9||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 23 2008||1.1.2||Yes||No||Garbage||Jonas Aaberg|
|Current||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 30 2007||0.9.52.||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Scott Ritchie|
This guide describes the installation of vanilla UFO ET without the popular Bman mod. Nevertheless the installation of this mod should be no problem. To install UFO ET and make it run follow this steps:
1. Install UFO ET
2. Download and install patch 2. You'll find it here.
3. Download d3dx9_26.dll and copy it to your wine's system32 directory. Override the dll configuration for this file and set it to "native".
4. Install some packages using winetricks:
winetricks d3dx9 directmusic directplay dsound ogg
5. To avoid mouse desync go to the wine configuration and disable decoration and control of windows by the window manager.
6. Start the game and have fun ;)