After the Game is prepared (rm Videos, dll, ...), everything expect mentioned stuff below works fine.
Just some notes:
Graphics: everthing looks nice and smooth
Strings: all are visible now
Mouse Pointer: works (with limitation of desync)
What does not
Sound (Disabled at Gamestart? - Any Hints?)
Videos (You have to delete or move, as stated.)
Mouse desync is still there (e.g. moving with pressed RMB)
What was not tested
I think I got a lot of stuff (everthing?) tested, but who nows.
Because of missing sound, I rated "silver", the rest of the game works at least "gold". So if you care not too much about sound it is really worth a try.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 16 2012||1.5.6||Yes||Yes||Gold||Michael W|
|Current||Gentoo Linux||Feb 21 2009||1.1.15||Yes||Yes||Silver||MarcelS|
|Show||Fedora 9||Nov 21 2008||1.1.9||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 23 2008||1.1.2||Yes||No||Garbage||Jonas Aaberg|
|Show||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 30 2007||0.9.52.||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Scott Ritchie|
This guide describes the installation of vanilla UFO ET without the popular Bman mod. Nevertheless the installation of this mod should be no problem. To install UFO ET and make it run follow this steps:
1. Install UFO ET
2. Download and install patch 2. You'll find it here.
3. Download d3dx9_26.dll and copy it to your wine's system32 directory. Override the dll configuration for this file and set it to "native".
4. Install some packages using winetricks:
winetricks d3dx9 directmusic directplay dsound ogg
5. To avoid mouse desync go to the wine configuration and disable decoration and control of windows by the window manager.
6. Start the game and have fun ;)