What does not
What was not tested
Everything works including sound. To get sound make sure hardware acceleration is set to emulation, sample rate to 44100 and do NOT check driver emulation. Set everything to max to remove any graphics glitches and away you go. I managed to play a 4 player game on a 10KM map with brilliant performance and no problems.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Debian GNU/kFreeBSD Unstable "Sid"||Nov 10 2018||3.20||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Sheppy|
|Show||Debian 9 (Stretch)||Nov 10 2018||3.20||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Sheppy|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 21 2018||3.0||Yes||No||No||Garbage||tatsu|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Aug 19 2017||2.13||Yes||No||No||Garbage||L29Ah|
|Show||Fedora 25 x86_64||Apr 15 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||smellymoo|
The Forged Alliance Forever Community has some great ressources about running SC:FA and the multiplayer client under linux.
Forum Megathread: http://forums.faforever.com/vi...
LINUX TRY FIRST
$ winetricks d3dx9
- replace the resolution with the resolution of your screen and execute
$ wine explorer /desktop=FA,1920x1080 ForgedAlliance.exe
- you may need wine32 bit and winetricks:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update && apt-get install wine32 winetricks
- you may also need vcrun2010, dotnet40, corefonts, d3dx9, d3dx9_36
$ export WINE=wine32
$ winetricks vcrun2010 dotnet40 corefonts d3dx9 d3dx9_36
- on older wine versions, X3DAudio1_2.dll in wine/system32 is missing/empty using the one from windows does work
- set your vram size in winetricks if you are on integrated graphics (use 512 if in doubt)
$ winetricks videomemorysize=$YOURVRAM
Summary of Common Errors on Linux
- AudioDLL blablabla is missing -> wine for WHATEVER reasonsometimes creates an empty version of that dll in .wine/dosdevices/ if you try to start the game without that dll, you have to replace it with the correct dll and start again
- videomemorysize might default to 256, that will cause the game hang during intro sequence or lead to blackscreen as soon as the game started see Linux-Extended Section on how to fix that
- cant compile carthographic.fx/cant load it -> you forgot to install d3dx9_36
- wine asking for some XML microsoft parser -> just follow wine instructions
- wine saying that .wine is a 64 bit installation -> delete .wine, move it or select different director (I suppose there is an option for that)
- general displaying problems -> try to emulate a virtual desktop, this will fix it for many windowmangers: $ winecfg
- i recommend you set the resolution ingame,
If you know what you are doing you can try this to imrpove CPU-wise performance:
$ taskset -cp 0 (pgrep ForgedAlliance); sudo renice -2 -p (pgrep ForgedAlliance)
Depends on driver/card. If SupCom doesn't show you a second adapter, short and long answer is no.
Can I play online with linux?
Yes, but it might be a little tricky to get the FAForever-Client to run on linux.
An easy solution could be to use the inofficial java client:
Check the main Linux Thread on FAF Forums for usefull information: